My advice to younger people is: “Learn to give more and demand less.”
This advice runs contrary to the conventional wisdom as people are taught to be smart by:-
- Paying least when you are buying something
- Charging most when you are selling something
- Pay to your employees the minimum you can
- Demand from your employers the best you can
We are taught to be smart so that we can get maximum things from the world by paying the minimum price to them.
You can easily see that such so called wisdom is actually the root of all conflicts and exploitation. This is the reason behind the distrust between buyer and seller, employers and employees, parents and children, government and people, husband and wife and so on.
I must advice you to follow just the opposite policy viz. to give more and demand less.
I have found that the world works on the law of reciprocation. It means that
- When you give something to someone, you get back something from someone at some point of time when you are not expecting it.
- When you take something from someone, you have to pay back something to someone at some point of time when you are least expecting it.
- How happy would you feel, if someone gives you something voluntarily without you asking for it?
- How unhappy would you feel, if someone takes from you forcefully without your permission for it?
My advice to the young person would, therefore, be
- Do more work than what you are paid for
- Love more than others love you
- Care more than others care for you
- Give more than what you receive from others
- Sell your goods/services for the lowest price that you can afford
- Buy goods/services for the best price as you can afford
Try these in your life.
They really work.